"Before you can search for truth, you must be interested in finding it." -Miroslav Volf

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Mariners Opening Day 2011 and Wisdom From Andy Dufresne

“Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.” I had to remind myself of the famous Shawshank Redemption line last night and will likely replay it in my mind repeatedly throughout the year. Joann got me tickets to the Mariners home opener last night, the first opening day game I’ve ever been too. What a sweetheart.

And she’s trying so hard to understand what intentional walks are, why the home team bats in the bottom of the inning, and why the whole stadium stands up during the 7th inning for their ritual singing as if they were at a church service. What a sweetheart.

Anyway, it was fun to be there, despite the horrible baseball taking place before us. We were one of the few who stayed all through the game along with the other true, devoted baseball lovers as well as plenty of drunken fans. The Mariners gave up ten runs in the fourth inning, losing by a final score of 12-3.

Everything before the game was great—a celebratory introduction of the team and a nice tribute to the late Dave Niehaus, famous Mariner broadcaster. Then it was all downhill. Yikes. What an ugly, painful game. At least I had my gal to cuddle with…and the hope that you can only improve upon such a horrible game. I hope.

No comments: